Time to move again.
Tried to book this place for another week but it was a no go. Life of a nomad.
Once again, I had the host call a cab for me. We had to wrestle with GPS in order to find
my new digs as all of my texts and calls went ignored. The car ended up in a dead-ended parking lot
with the apparent location near by so I paid the guy and hoofed it the rest of
the way.
I arrived at what I thought was the building only to realize
that there were no instructions anywhere as to get into the place. I texted the host again while waiting in the lobby
before I started to feel very awkward. Hauling
my junk back down the ramp, I waited on the side of the road.
I knew I was early for my check-in. It was the usual gap between 10-11 a.m. checkout
and a 3 p.m. checkin. So I waited. And waited.
Have I mentioned how much I love to wait? In the hot sun with all my crap and still no
contact from the host? Good times.
I thought maybe the host would send an automated text at my
check in time. But that was at 3:00 and it
wasn’t even noon yet. Great. Since I had not eaten all morning, I figured
I’d find go something. So with heavy heart and heavy luggage, I
dragged everything down to the nearest restaurant for a meal and a wait.
That is definitely one thing I love about European
establishments – they don’t care how long you sit around. The wait staff won’t even bother you to
pay. I usually have flag someone down to
give them my money.
There was a nice beach near the restaurant so when I got
tired of sitting there, I went to sit by the water, still waiting for a word
from my host. When 3 p.m. hit, I started
to head back to the apartment. But before
I climbed back up that hill, I realized that there was no guarantee that I was
even at the right building. Feeling at a
complete loss, on thought kept running through my head.
I am done with Montenegro.
I didn’t even want to stay for another week. I was ready to just head to the airport. Instead, I checked on a couple of motels I
passed and asked if they could put me up for the night. Nope. Then I figured to just find something
on Booking.com. That site saved me back
in Greece when I was at the airport and had no idea where I was going so I
called on it again. Found a vacancy then
flagged a cab.
For once, I actually got someone to stop … but he refused to
take me. He said the place was too close
and he could only do rides to the airport. Sigh.
Guy, I’m exhausted. I’ve
been walking in the hot sun, dragging all my worldly possessions while
wondering where I’m going to lay my head for the night. And my phone battery is dying. I have money to give you to do your job
and you refuse to take it.
I am SO done with Montenegro.
Fine. Let the weary
tourist drag her stuff up yet another hill while dodging cars on the narrow
road and hope her battery doesn’t die while using the GPS. Fortunately, I found the place, the owner was
at the gate and sent her sons to get me up the 3 flights of stairs (ugh). The room was small and clean and the host
told me that she and her sons were about to go to the beach and would be back
later to collect the money and get a picture of my passport.
While my phone was charging, I called Airbnb support to figure
out what to do. The guy said he’d try to
call the host then get back to me. I
headed out for some dinner.
Sitting in a very loud restaurant, Airbnb called me
back. They hadn’t had any more luck than
I had in reaching the hosts. Since I’d already
arranged for a new place, I told him that the only thing he could do for me is
give me my money back. He said no problem. I did indeed get my refund a few days later.
People complain about Airbnb a lot but I’ve been using them
almost exclusively for three years. This
is the first time I’ve had a host ghost me and I’m glad the issue could be
resolved so quickly.
Next morning: you know
the drill. Call me a cab, host lady, so
I can get to the next place. The amiable
driver drove us out of the city center and down a back road with nothing but
houses on it. After several wrong turns,
asking directions of a woman passing by and calls to a host who actually picked
up this time, and we found our way to the house. You know, the one we originally passed
because it was under heavy construction?
Yeah, that’s the place.
Really Montenegro?
The host lived in the private house and rented out the two rooms above his place. He showed me in … and I realized why this place was so cheap.
Studio, tiny kitchen, a shower stall that’s only half-enclosed.
A bed so low to the ground that I have to climb my way
out. Not a mini-fridge like the last
place, a fridge that was also so low that I had to bend over to get
anything. I’m an old lady who’s been
sleeping in strange beds for three years – could you cut a sister a break?
Nope.
While the patio is lovely (more grape vines!), I couldn’t spend any time out there because of the constant construction. The workers used the patio to set up and get to the roof. At one point, they asked me to turn off the air conditioner while they were painting just outside my door.
I’d already figured that this was my last week in the country so I figured to just grin and bear it. My breaking point came when, after a rare afternoon of quiet, the distinct sound of construction began at the prime hour of 9 p.m. on a Sunday.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Like it’s not bad enough the place is in the middle of nowhere and was
built for a little person, but now I have to message the host to tell them not
to start a buzzsaw over my head when I’m about to go to sleep. Seriously?
The next morning, as I left the apartment to head to the
grocery store, one of the men working on the house stopped me. Speaking no English, he pantomimed driving
while smiling at me so I assumed he was offering me a ride. Thanks, but one, I need the exercise, and
two, who are you again? I’ve seen people
hitchhiking in this country but I’m still not comfortable with it (says the
person who has regularly used Uber in foreign countries).
After I got back, I encountered the same guy. He came up the stairs with me to help me get
through the ladders and mess that the guys had made. A few minutes later I heard a knock on the
door. That guy, smiling gray-haired guy,
held up a plate covered in a red napkin.
A nice assortment of Montenegrin treats waited beneath.
Does the plate of goodies make up for the noise? H@ll no.
But it was still a nice gesture.
Despite being close to the airport, I tried to get a bus
ticket back to Albania. From Tivat it’s
only about 5-6 hours away for a ticket price of around 50 bucks. But every time I tried to book a bus, whether
late night or during the day, the website kept saying that everything was
booked. Seriously?
Frustration about all things has been the name of the game
for months now.
So instead I booked an overpriced plane ticket through
Belgrade again and back to Tirana. As
long as I got out of the country in one piece, it was all good.
No comments:
Post a Comment